By Suad Khalil, Founder of Nom Nom UAE (author of this piece)
As we transition from summer to cooler months, it is also time to enjoy seasonal veggies and fruits with your dog. Here are three items that you can easily find in the supermarket and add to your dog’s meal for an extra boost of nutrients.
Pumpkin is a great addition to your dog’s meal
Not only does it contain high fibre which helps regulate bowels if your dog is suffering from constipation or diarrhoea. But pumpkin also contains Vitamins like A, C and E, as well as minerals such as iron and potassium. Most dogs love the taste of pumpkin. My recommendation is to opt for fresh pumpkin instead of canned. You can either steam it or boil it and mash it.
Apples are hydrating and make a great high-fibre snack for your dog
This snack is also great for teething puppies as they love the crunchy texture. However, due to its sugar content, I suggest feeding sparsely and be extra careful when serving apples. Apple seeds contain a cyanide-like substance that is toxic to dogs. Always cut off the core and remove the seeds before offering it to your dog.
Zucchini is a highly nutritious, guilt-free alternative to high-calorie treats for dogs
They are rich in vitamins A, C, B6 and K which are beneficial for your dog’s vision, skin, coat, bone and cartilage, growth, metabolism etc. Additionally, Zucchini is also high in antioxidants. Feeding suggestion: lightly steamed cubes or offer it raw but shredded for easy digestion.
Over to a recipe
Chicken & Pumpkin Loaf Dog Treat
- Minced chicken (lean) – 500g (Swap for beef or turkey if your dog is allergic to chicken)
- Eggs – 2
- Pumpkin – 250-300g
- Coconut flour (it is a better option than wheat or all-purpose flour) – 3 tablespoons
- Turn the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl mix everything together.
- Line two baking tins or a larger baking dish with baking paper and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until it’s cooked.
- Feed this as part of your dog’s meal, food topper or use it as a training treat.
- Make sure to refrigerate it and use it within three days.