We are back with our weekly article on healthy homemade treats for dogs. This week it’s time for homemade liver treats for dogs. In the wild liver and other organ meats are an essential part of the natural diet of wild canines and it makes for a healthy treat for our canine friends too.
You may also like: Time to enjoy seasonal veggies and fruits with your dog
Chewy Parsley Liver Cubes: Recipe by Karen and Jeannine Becker
- Beef liver – 1 lb thinly sliced
- Dried parsley – 2 tablespoons
- Dry the liver slices by blotting them with a paper towel, and then dust them with parsley.
- Transfer the liver to a greased cookie sheet, and bake for 30 minutes at 325°F.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, flip the liver slices and then bake for another 20 minutes.
- Once the liver is cooked, transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool, cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Store in the refrigerator and consume within one week. If stored in the freezer, this can stay fresh for up to three months.
Liver Tater Meatloaf: Recipe by Karen and Jeannine Becker
- Beef liver – 1/3 cup chopped
- Eggs – 2
- Potato flour – ¼ cup
- Peas – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ½ teaspoon (preferably organic)
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Pour into a greased 5×6-inch baking dish or loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool before cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator and consume within one week. If stored in the freezer, this can stay fresh for up to three months.
Note: Always check with your trusted veterinarian before adding anything new to your dog’s diet. This article is for information purposes only and should not be treated as medical opinion.