There are several reasons why houseplants are great. Besides being pleasant for the eyes and mind, some of them have air purifying properties that help in reducing headaches and increasing pain tolerance. Some even have medicinal properties. Many houseplants can also absorb toxic substances that might be floating around, and we may not even realise. However, if you have pets at home – dogs and cats – beware some houseplants can be toxic for pets.
Here’s a list of three such indoor houseplants that can be potentially toxic for pets.
Relatively easy to maintain Aloe plant is a great air purifying agent as it produces oxygen at night while also taking in carbon dioxide. It is also considered as a medicinal plant for humans. However, if accidentally ingested it can be mildly toxic for pets causing various conditions. These include diarrhoea, vomiting, change in urine colour as well as lethargy and tremors.
Dieffenbachia (Dumbcane / Mother-In-Law’s Tongue)
Dieffenbachia, which is also called dumbcane or mother-in-law’s tongue, are hardy plants that tend to grow well in warm and humid conditions. However, this plant contains something called calcium oxalate that can be potentially dangerous if handled improperly by humans. If it is accidentally ingested by dogs, it can cause allergic reactions and stomach distress. In some cases, it can be fatal if not treated in time.
Peace lily is another low maintenance houseplant that has air purifying properties and helps in eliminating mold spores in the air. Besides being a beautiful addition as a home décor, it is also believed to promote better sleep. But if it is accidentally ingested by pets, it can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pain, difficulty in swallowing, lack of appetite. In some serious cases it can even cause damage to the kidneys.
Note: This article is meant for information and awareness only and should not be treated as medical opinion.